So, I’ve been body building since January and I guess you could say I’m getting pretty bold about showing off. I can tell you (from experience) that it’s a heck of a lot better than always trying to cover up rolls of fat.
OK, so what’s this all about? I did it for the animals. PETA had a booth at the Green Festival in Los Angeles this weekend and they needed people to shower at their booth to make a point about how much water you conserve by going vegan. I’m sure we have all heard environmentalists saying that we should cut our showers short to save water. But when you figure how much water you save by going vegan—I think that if you’re vegan, you can pretty much shower all day and you will still use less water than the average meat eater. In case you can’t read it, it says “1 lb of meat = 6 months of showers”. (That’s based on each shower lasting 5 minutes).
Quite a few people walking by the booth were shocked to see someone actually showering (and looking to be naked) in the middle of the Los Angeles Convention Center. But when they heard the environmental statistics about how wasteful of water (and land, and clean air) that meat production is, they were shocked for all the right reasons.
One young girl actually came right up to my shower and said, “I want to become vegetarian but I don’t know what to eat.” I assured her that she’d come to the right place and Katie and Cory immediately hooked her up with pamphlets and recipes and some great advice on making the transition. This is why I love PETA. I may not agree with everything they do, but they are doing a lot of good for the animals by staging high-profile media stunts and then using that opportunity to educate the public.
I was just telling my husband today that it was probably inevitable that I would go naked for PETA someday. Well today was the day and I really enjoyed it. Thanks to all the hard work at the gym and vegan protein of the past few months! And now I’m energized to work even harder these next few months and build even more muscle! And, of course, I’ll keep you posted as I go along!
In the meantime, here’s some facts from PETA that we discussed at the Green Festival during my shower:
Researchers at the University of Chicago concluded that switching from the standard American diet to a vegan diet is more effective in the fight against global warming than switching from a standard American car to a hybrid.
· In its report, the U.N. found that the meat industry causes local and global environmental problems even beyond global warming. It said that the meat industry should be a main focus in every discussion of land degradation, climate change and air pollution, water shortages and pollution, and loss of biodiversity.
· According to Environmental Defense, if every American skipped one meal of chicken per week and substituted vegetarian foods instead, the carbon dioxide savings would be the same as taking more than half a million cars off of U.S. roads.
· Livestock production accounts for half of all the water used in the US. The amount of water used for one cow is so great, it could float a destroyer. A vegetarian uses only 300 gallons of water per day, while a meat-eater uses more than 4,000.
· Overgrazing of livestock destroys topsoil. Slaughterhouses and processing plants use tremendous amounts of water and pour millions of gallons of animal waste into our rivers and streams.
· Of all agricultural land in the United States, 87% is used to raise animals for food. This is 45% of the total land mass of the United States. A total vegetarian requires 1/6 acre of land to feed herself or himself each year. A meat-eater requires more than 3 acres.
· Of all the raw materials and fossil fuels used in the United States, more than 1/3 are used to raise animals for food.
· The world’s current stock of petroleum products is only enough to sustain us for 13 years, but if everyone became vegetarian, it’d last almost 300 years.
· Forty percent of the world’s grain is used to feed animals, not people, and half of that would eliminate world hunger. By raising animals for food we’re condemning people worldwide to starvation.
· A vegetarian saves an acre of trees each year that would have been destroyed for livestock grazing.
· Farmed animals produce about 130 times as much waste as the entire human population of the United States does. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the run-off from factory farms pollutes our rivers and lakes more than all other industrial sources combined.
- 2012 (3)
- 2011 (114)
- November (4)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (3)
- July (12)
- More Rest and Recovery Needed
- Rest and Nutritional Recovery
- Park Dog/Human Workout + Weights + Vegan Protein
- Home Full Body Workout
- Arms, More Cardio & More Vegan Protein
- Legs & Butt (again)
- Legs & Abs (aka trouble spots) for women
- Running= the best cellulite cure ever?
- Summer Upper Body Workout
- High Protein (vegan, gluten free, flourless) Carrot Cake Recipe
- Got Legs---& I know how to work them!
- Wake Up the Body "Post Red Tent" Home Workout
- June (12)
- How Many Calories Should You Eat/Burn?
- Summer Booty Camp & Vegan Protein
- Thighs, Abs, Lots of Cardio and Vegan Protein
- 2 Gym Workouts and Let's Talk Diet!
- Home Mostly Legs Workout & Eat Your Protein
- Gym Hickeys, Calves, Abs and Vegan Protein
- Work These Body Parts & Eat Vegan Protein
- Gym Calf and Delt Workout and Vegan Protein
- Home Leg and Ab Workout and Vegan Protein
- Glutes and Thighs Gym Workout
- PMS Gym Workout & Vegan Protein
- Little Home Workout
- May (17)
- Armed With Vegan Protein
- Home is Where the Ab Workout Is and Vegan Protein
- Leg Workout & Vegan Protein
- Hot (Vegan High Protein) Muffin Man Recipe
- Home Arm/Ab Workout and High Protein Vegan Muffin Recipe
- Lower Body Workout/Home or Gym/Vegan Protein
- Home Ab Workout + a Ton of Vegan Protein
- 2 Workouts Cover (almost) the Whole Body + Vegan Protein
- Bloat doesn't float my boat
- Back, Chest, Biceps, Abs and Cardio all Fueled by Vegan Protein
- Legs, Cardio and Plant Protein
- Delts, Abs, Cardio and Vegan Protein
- Progress Report
- Legs & Cardio
- Back, Biceps, Cardio & Vegan Protein
- Simple Abs & Cardio
- Deltoids, Abs, Glutes, Cardio and Vegan Protein
- April (19)
- What the FOK? Core, Cardio and Protein
- Drop Dead Legs, Vegan Protein Smile
- Cardio, Arms, Abs & Vegan Protein
- Easter Vegan Protein with Calf & Ab Workout
- Rooty Tooty Vegan Protein Booty
- Bigger, better deltoids (& Vegan Protein, of course)
- "Have-It-All Protein" & Calf Workout
- Cardio, Ab Workout and More Vegan Protein!
- Building a Better Butt
- Celebrity Workout (& Protein)
- Calves, Abs and Protein
- Butt wait, there's more!
- Supplementation Station
- Cool Stuff
- Comforting Calf Workout & Yummy Glutenous Protein
- Channel Your Emotional Pain into Your Core Workout
- Glutes, Thighs and Proteinized
- Rest is Important Too
- Protein City Party
- March (28)
- Booty Booty Booty
- Sexy Arms & Sexy Vegan Protein
- Calves Again and Vegan Protein
- Armed and Dangerous Vegan Protein
- Smiling at the Gym
- Home Calf Workout & Lots of Vegan Protein
- I'm Back in...Grey (?) / 238 Grams of Protein!!!
- Neglect the Sandman & You Will Pay!!!
- Delts, Glutes & Vegan Protein
- American (Vegan) Idol
- Working the Core is Never a Bore/ Neither is Lots of Vegan Protein
- Calves Growing Into Little Heifers
- Annie Get Your Guns
- Vegan (Irish?) Protein and Rest
- Booty Girl Strikes Again
- Progress Report
- More Protein, More Abs
- Vegan Protein Discussion & Arm Workout
- Legs & Abs Workout
- Grab a Workout and Some Vegan Protein Where Ever You Can!
- Homebody Mini-Workout
- Wanna Work Your Legs Until You Can't Walk?!
- I'm Back (from the land of the unhealthy)!
- Protein Power
- Workout Killed My Abs/ More Protein!!!
- Killer Ab Workout!
- Friendly Butt Workout and Lots of Protein!
- Calves Again / Another One Bites the Dust
- February (14)
- Gregarious Girl Guns
- More Calf Work--moo! & More Protein too!
- A Day Off From Working Out, But Not From Eating Protein!
- What Injury? Arms & Ab Workout
- My First Injury
- New Calf Workout!
- Nose to the Grindstone on My Own
- Getting Gun Show Ready
- Everybody Look at My Butt!
- Feelin' Great and Bummed About It
- Ready & Raring to Go!!!
- So Sore Today!
- The Journey Begins
- "Before" the Journey Began