As a body builder, I am always trying to find ways to make sure I’m eating as much protein as possible. After all, protein provides the body’s building blocks for muscles. Every now and then I am really proud of myself for figuring out a new way to ingest more protein. Here are some of my favorites lately.
(1) When baking a cake or cookies, I add protein powder (Spirutein has some really delicious flavors) and some soy milk. It requires a little extra baking time, but it’s definitely worth it to get extra protein when having a yummy treat!
I have also recently read that when you consume fat and protein together, you burn more of the fat in the digestion process since it takes more energy for the body to digest protein. So there’s another reason (besides the beautiful muscle tone you gain) to add protein to your treats—it also burns off some of the fat. How cool is that?!!!
(2) Another great dessert choice is pudding made from silken tofu blended with Spirutein protein powder (chocolate is my favorite, but strawberry is also amazing).
(3) Substitute soy flour for ordinary flour when baking. (Just be aware that it has a different flavor and you will need to also add some Spirutein to compensate for the flavor. My advice is to taste the batter while making something and see what it needs. Soy flour has a bitter after taste on it’s own, but when you add chocolate or lemon flavors, it tastes great.)
(4) I make my own (or buy) hummus from white beans instead of garbanzo beans (white beans are much higher in protein). (California Pizza Kitchen has a good one on their appetizer menu . I also have a recipe I make all the time that includes kalamata olives, garlic, lemon juice and fresh basil, all pureed together.) And I eat it with high protein bread instead of ordinary pita bread. Which reminds me…
(5) I make sure my bread is high in protein (read your labels).
(6) I make sure my cereal is high in protein (Optimum Slim is my favorite).
(7) I make sure my pasta is high in protein (Kamut Spirals are my favorite).
(8) I drink a glass of soy milk with my meals (a pint glass = 14 grams of protein).
(9) I eat a handful of walnuts or peanuts between meals. I also throw walnuts on my oatmeal, in my baked goods, and in my salad (walnuts are also high in Omega 3 fatty acids, which helps speed recovery after workouts).
(10) I throw some quinoa in my salad (it’s easy–it cooks really fast and it adds a delicious texture).
(11) I throw some spinach in almost anything I cook (remember cooked spinach has more protein per ounce than any meat).
(12) I keep my freezer stocked with delicious, easy high protein seitan products (buffalo wings, steak, chik’n, etc).
(13) I keep Cliff’s Builder’s Bars stocked in my cabinet and grab one on my way out the door to run errands. They taste like a delicious candy bar and have 20 grams of protein per bar!
Note: These are not low-calorie options for dieters. These are high-protein options for active women who are real body builders looking to add muscle tone to their bodies.
- 2012 (3)
- 2011 (114)
- November (4)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (3)
- July (12)
- More Rest and Recovery Needed
- Rest and Nutritional Recovery
- Park Dog/Human Workout + Weights + Vegan Protein
- Home Full Body Workout
- Arms, More Cardio & More Vegan Protein
- Legs & Butt (again)
- Legs & Abs (aka trouble spots) for women
- Running= the best cellulite cure ever?
- Summer Upper Body Workout
- High Protein (vegan, gluten free, flourless) Carrot Cake Recipe
- Got Legs---& I know how to work them!
- Wake Up the Body "Post Red Tent" Home Workout
- June (12)
- How Many Calories Should You Eat/Burn?
- Summer Booty Camp & Vegan Protein
- Thighs, Abs, Lots of Cardio and Vegan Protein
- 2 Gym Workouts and Let's Talk Diet!
- Home Mostly Legs Workout & Eat Your Protein
- Gym Hickeys, Calves, Abs and Vegan Protein
- Work These Body Parts & Eat Vegan Protein
- Gym Calf and Delt Workout and Vegan Protein
- Home Leg and Ab Workout and Vegan Protein
- Glutes and Thighs Gym Workout
- PMS Gym Workout & Vegan Protein
- Little Home Workout
- May (17)
- Armed With Vegan Protein
- Home is Where the Ab Workout Is and Vegan Protein
- Leg Workout & Vegan Protein
- Hot (Vegan High Protein) Muffin Man Recipe
- Home Arm/Ab Workout and High Protein Vegan Muffin Recipe
- Lower Body Workout/Home or Gym/Vegan Protein
- Home Ab Workout + a Ton of Vegan Protein
- 2 Workouts Cover (almost) the Whole Body + Vegan Protein
- Bloat doesn't float my boat
- Back, Chest, Biceps, Abs and Cardio all Fueled by Vegan Protein
- Legs, Cardio and Plant Protein
- Delts, Abs, Cardio and Vegan Protein
- Progress Report
- Legs & Cardio
- Back, Biceps, Cardio & Vegan Protein
- Simple Abs & Cardio
- Deltoids, Abs, Glutes, Cardio and Vegan Protein
- April (19)
- What the FOK? Core, Cardio and Protein
- Drop Dead Legs, Vegan Protein Smile
- Cardio, Arms, Abs & Vegan Protein
- Easter Vegan Protein with Calf & Ab Workout
- Rooty Tooty Vegan Protein Booty
- Bigger, better deltoids (& Vegan Protein, of course)
- "Have-It-All Protein" & Calf Workout
- Cardio, Ab Workout and More Vegan Protein!
- Building a Better Butt
- Celebrity Workout (& Protein)
- Calves, Abs and Protein
- Butt wait, there's more!
- Supplementation Station
- Cool Stuff
- Comforting Calf Workout & Yummy Glutenous Protein
- Channel Your Emotional Pain into Your Core Workout
- Glutes, Thighs and Proteinized
- Rest is Important Too
- Protein City Party
- March (28)
- Booty Booty Booty
- Sexy Arms & Sexy Vegan Protein
- Calves Again and Vegan Protein
- Armed and Dangerous Vegan Protein
- Smiling at the Gym
- Home Calf Workout & Lots of Vegan Protein
- I'm Back in...Grey (?) / 238 Grams of Protein!!!
- Neglect the Sandman & You Will Pay!!!
- Delts, Glutes & Vegan Protein
- American (Vegan) Idol
- Working the Core is Never a Bore/ Neither is Lots of Vegan Protein
- Calves Growing Into Little Heifers
- Annie Get Your Guns
- Vegan (Irish?) Protein and Rest
- Booty Girl Strikes Again
- Progress Report
- More Protein, More Abs
- Vegan Protein Discussion & Arm Workout
- Legs & Abs Workout
- Grab a Workout and Some Vegan Protein Where Ever You Can!
- Homebody Mini-Workout
- Wanna Work Your Legs Until You Can't Walk?!
- I'm Back (from the land of the unhealthy)!
- Protein Power
- Workout Killed My Abs/ More Protein!!!
- Killer Ab Workout!
- Friendly Butt Workout and Lots of Protein!
- Calves Again / Another One Bites the Dust
- February (14)
- Gregarious Girl Guns
- More Calf Work--moo! & More Protein too!
- A Day Off From Working Out, But Not From Eating Protein!
- What Injury? Arms & Ab Workout
- My First Injury
- New Calf Workout!
- Nose to the Grindstone on My Own
- Getting Gun Show Ready
- Everybody Look at My Butt!
- Feelin' Great and Bummed About It
- Ready & Raring to Go!!!
- So Sore Today!
- The Journey Begins
- "Before" the Journey Began