When you’re working out outside of the gym, you sometimes have to get creative to really work every little muscle. Here’s a good example, the upside down off the couch push up. This angle is intended to work the deltoids. You could take this move further and do a hand stand and press yourself up and down. But it’s been a while since I did a hand stand and I’m going to start with this move and maybe next time I’ll try the handstand version. One very important thing that I learned from my yoga teacher training is the importance of not rushing into new poses, but to modify the advanced poses and start where you’re comfortable, then as you get stronger and more confident you can try more and more daring versions until you’re doing something really crazy looking. The good news is that all versions of this exercise get other people in your house to notice you.
Another thing about this workout, I did the P-90X Ab Ripper DVD for my ab workout. I highly recommend that everyone who works out at home get a DVD with a really hard core core workout. (ha!) You need something that really challenges your abs and makes them burn like crazy all the way through. The great thing about doing this at home is that you can cuss to the high heavens in a way that you might not in a class full of people or in the weight room at the gym (another way to get noticed at home with people who know you that you wouldn’t necessarily want at the gym with strangers– which is always fun). You also want to always try different things on your abs to keep them progressing. Once they adapt to your workout and it doesn’t burn anymore, you’ve got to find something different. Core DVDs are a nice option for mixing things up.
Here’s my whole home arm workout, with abs and cardio:
- Upside down off the couch push ups: 25 X 3
- Upward flies with dumbells: 12 reps/15 lbs X 3
- Upward row to shoulder press with dumbells: 10/15 X 3
- Alternating full range of motion arm curls: 13 reps/25 lbs X 3
- Shoulder press with dumbells: 8 reps/25 lbs, 10 reps/20 lbs, 12 reps/20 lbs
- Couch dips: 10 reps X 5
- Ab ripper DVD
- 30 minutes cardio on treadmill at highest elevation (10) on toes, with glutes squeezed
Vegan Protein- on my last blog I mentioned that I was going to try out some home made protein bar recipes. They didn’t work out very well, and I will need to experiment some more before I can recommend any of those recipes. But my husband did come up with a fabulous High Protein Banana Nut Muffin Recipe that knocks my socks off (yummy)!
Here it is (makes 6 muffins with 240 calories and 15 grams of protein per muffin):
3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup Earth Balance vegan butter
2 cups Organic Spelt Flour
2/3 cup (or one scoop) Vega Sport Performance Protein (vanilla flavor)
1 Tbsp organic agave syrup (we chose this sweetner because it’s low on the glycemic index, so does not cause a spike in insulin and a subesquent cortisol response, which is very harmful to bodybuilders)
3 tsp baking powder
1 cup walnuts (high in Omega-3 fatty acids as well as protein! bonus!)
Preheat Oven to 360 degrees
Put bananas, margarine, Vega Sport Performance Protein and agave syrup in a bowl and mix until blended
Add flour, baking powder and walnuts and mix together until blended (should be the consistency of bread dough).
Pour into greased muffin pan immediately (use Earth Balance to grease pan), leaving room for muffins to rise
Bake for 25 minutes.
If you try this recipe, please let me know what you think! Also, keep checking back for more high protein recipes for yummy baked goods like pancakes, pizza crusts, more muffins and yes, even homemade protein bars (I’m finding lots of them, but I’m not going to recommend them until I try them myself and can certify that they work and they’re yummy!) If you have a good high protein vegan recipe for something like this, please share it in the comment section and I will post it!
- 2012 (3)
- 2011 (114)
- November (4)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (3)
- July (12)
- More Rest and Recovery Needed
- Rest and Nutritional Recovery
- Park Dog/Human Workout + Weights + Vegan Protein
- Home Full Body Workout
- Arms, More Cardio & More Vegan Protein
- Legs & Butt (again)
- Legs & Abs (aka trouble spots) for women
- Running= the best cellulite cure ever?
- Summer Upper Body Workout
- High Protein (vegan, gluten free, flourless) Carrot Cake Recipe
- Got Legs---& I know how to work them!
- Wake Up the Body "Post Red Tent" Home Workout
- June (12)
- How Many Calories Should You Eat/Burn?
- Summer Booty Camp & Vegan Protein
- Thighs, Abs, Lots of Cardio and Vegan Protein
- 2 Gym Workouts and Let's Talk Diet!
- Home Mostly Legs Workout & Eat Your Protein
- Gym Hickeys, Calves, Abs and Vegan Protein
- Work These Body Parts & Eat Vegan Protein
- Gym Calf and Delt Workout and Vegan Protein
- Home Leg and Ab Workout and Vegan Protein
- Glutes and Thighs Gym Workout
- PMS Gym Workout & Vegan Protein
- Little Home Workout
- May (17)
- Armed With Vegan Protein
- Home is Where the Ab Workout Is and Vegan Protein
- Leg Workout & Vegan Protein
- Hot (Vegan High Protein) Muffin Man Recipe
- Home Arm/Ab Workout and High Protein Vegan Muffin Recipe
- Lower Body Workout/Home or Gym/Vegan Protein
- Home Ab Workout + a Ton of Vegan Protein
- 2 Workouts Cover (almost) the Whole Body + Vegan Protein
- Bloat doesn't float my boat
- Back, Chest, Biceps, Abs and Cardio all Fueled by Vegan Protein
- Legs, Cardio and Plant Protein
- Delts, Abs, Cardio and Vegan Protein
- Progress Report
- Legs & Cardio
- Back, Biceps, Cardio & Vegan Protein
- Simple Abs & Cardio
- Deltoids, Abs, Glutes, Cardio and Vegan Protein
- April (19)
- What the FOK? Core, Cardio and Protein
- Drop Dead Legs, Vegan Protein Smile
- Cardio, Arms, Abs & Vegan Protein
- Easter Vegan Protein with Calf & Ab Workout
- Rooty Tooty Vegan Protein Booty
- Bigger, better deltoids (& Vegan Protein, of course)
- "Have-It-All Protein" & Calf Workout
- Cardio, Ab Workout and More Vegan Protein!
- Building a Better Butt
- Celebrity Workout (& Protein)
- Calves, Abs and Protein
- Butt wait, there's more!
- Supplementation Station
- Cool Stuff
- Comforting Calf Workout & Yummy Glutenous Protein
- Channel Your Emotional Pain into Your Core Workout
- Glutes, Thighs and Proteinized
- Rest is Important Too
- Protein City Party
- March (28)
- Booty Booty Booty
- Sexy Arms & Sexy Vegan Protein
- Calves Again and Vegan Protein
- Armed and Dangerous Vegan Protein
- Smiling at the Gym
- Home Calf Workout & Lots of Vegan Protein
- I'm Back in...Grey (?) / 238 Grams of Protein!!!
- Neglect the Sandman & You Will Pay!!!
- Delts, Glutes & Vegan Protein
- American (Vegan) Idol
- Working the Core is Never a Bore/ Neither is Lots of Vegan Protein
- Calves Growing Into Little Heifers
- Annie Get Your Guns
- Vegan (Irish?) Protein and Rest
- Booty Girl Strikes Again
- Progress Report
- More Protein, More Abs
- Vegan Protein Discussion & Arm Workout
- Legs & Abs Workout
- Grab a Workout and Some Vegan Protein Where Ever You Can!
- Homebody Mini-Workout
- Wanna Work Your Legs Until You Can't Walk?!
- I'm Back (from the land of the unhealthy)!
- Protein Power
- Workout Killed My Abs/ More Protein!!!
- Killer Ab Workout!
- Friendly Butt Workout and Lots of Protein!
- Calves Again / Another One Bites the Dust
- February (14)
- Gregarious Girl Guns
- More Calf Work--moo! & More Protein too!
- A Day Off From Working Out, But Not From Eating Protein!
- What Injury? Arms & Ab Workout
- My First Injury
- New Calf Workout!
- Nose to the Grindstone on My Own
- Getting Gun Show Ready
- Everybody Look at My Butt!
- Feelin' Great and Bummed About It
- Ready & Raring to Go!!!
- So Sore Today!
- The Journey Begins
- "Before" the Journey Began